Artwork (above) by Hayley Macmillan on ArtStation
1. A journal appropriate to your content. If it’s dark, brooding stories you’re writing then I suggest black journals (maybe skip the blood drenched pages). If it’s something a little more unicorns and inspiration you’re planning, then perhaps something of the glittery kind. Generally I’m a big fan of anything Moleskine (you can never have too many Star Wars journals after all) and I absolutely obsess over Typo.
2. A cat. The ultimate accessory for anyone planning on taking over the world. Plus they’re just so cute and murderous, right? #purringinspiration
3. Coffee. Coffee. And more coffee. While I do occasionally indulge in Jasmine Green Tea, I’m a firm believer in ‘coffee makes the world a better place’. You’ll understand what I mean if you ever met me pre-a cup of coffee. Writers all have their trademark mugs (mine may or may not have black kitty ears) and that feeling of immense power you get when holding a new cup of steaming coffee can NEVER be equaled. Yum!
4. My preferred playlist. How can any writer live in a world devoid of theme songs? Writing an ominous play about fate? Hans Zimmer that! Contemplating unrequited love? Lana Del Rey of course. And if you just wanna break out into some serious dance moves and write some fun stuff, Ray Parker Jnr’s Ghostbusters‘ theme is still pretty spot on. *pretends to be Stay Puft Marshmallow Man
5. Pretty rocks. I’m a collector of gemstones and love their prettiness and calming effects. While some may question my sanity on attributing magical beliefs to these stones, I love how different stones inspire different modes of thought. Variety in thinking is key in the writer’s toolbox. Also HP and MP increase, like DUH!
6. Stickers! Not really necessary but fun when writer’s block hits and you just wanna see how many you can stick on your face before your friend’s ask you to seek medical help.
7. A safe space. A safe space can be your room with it’s serene pale blue walls, or it can be your favorite spot at the local coffee-shop. I live near the ocean so I’m pretty lucky that I have the song of the sea constantly within listening distance. Others have opted for parks, forest clearings or benches at train stations. Whatever your choice, it’s important to feel comfortable. Less distraction usually seems to work best for me.
8. “That dread machine”. Whilst Giles (think Buffy the Vampire Slayer) may have been a bit too harsh about our new age tech, computers are a total MUST these days. My laptop is pretty much attached to my body (it’s black so it matches my wardrobe and general mood, which is a plus). Wi-Fi connection is a no brainer on this list.How else would we blog? Or watch distracting videos of Henry Cavill?
9. That black hole abyss. Because where else do I go when I stare off into space for 3 hours straight and my word count remains frozen in time??? Have you been writing? Of course…I just took a little time traveling expedition…you know, to get into character!
Artwork by Cerah Art on DeviantArt
So those are just some of my essentials…what are yours I wonder?